This priority guide has been issued by the Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association to assist players who are playing for more than one team in dealing fairly with schedule conflicts.
These “priorities of play” are for players who are multiple rostered. These priorities:
- apply to all State Team players – regardless of age - rostered on any other team.
- apply to all multiple rostered players in Grade 8/U14 and younger; but,
- do not apply to non-State Team players in Grade 9/U15 and above.
These priorities provide players, coaches and parents with a set of expectations for players rostered to multiple teams. They have been developed to enable players to rise to their highest level of soccer while affording them access to all levels of play. They were developed with input from representatives of all types and levels of play within the state. They have been developed to eliminate such questions as:
- "who do I play for?"
- "which practice should I attend?",
- "what team should I play with on a tournament weekend?"
These priorities are to be respected and adhered to by all of the various soccer interests that compete for a player's attention and time.
In general terms, a player’s priorities are as follows.
- Major tournaments:
- Regional ODP tournament (after Memorial Day)
- State Cup
- MTOC and qualifying games
- On a major national holiday weekend:
- Memorial Day – priority to Premier (MAPLE & MASC) Teams
- Columbus Day – priority to Town Teams
- All other tournaments – players are to alternate attendance in event of scheduled conflict
- State team tryouts (except Sunday afternoons during MAPLE & MASC seasons)
- Regularly scheduled league games
- Make-up games
However, there exist variations in priority based on the playing season. Please read and understand each category and how they interrelate.
Soccer Activity Priority List
- Regional ODP tournament
- State Cup tournament
- MTOC and qualifying games
- State Team tryouts in summer, fall (other than on Sunday afternoons), and winter seasons only. Try-out dates must also be established and available through the State Office at least one month in advance.
- All games:
- State Team – summer only
- Premier (MAPLE & MASC) teams – all year for any games scheduled from 11:00 a.m. on Sunday until dusk
- MTOC eligible town teams – all year for any games scheduled from Friday afternoon to Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
- State Team
- Non-MTOC town teams, or any fall teams (other than premier) or winter teams
- State Team (summer only)
- Premier (MAPLE & MASC) teams – priority for Memorial Day Weekend only
- Town teams – priority for Columbus Day weekend only
- All other tournaments – players are to alternate attendance in event of conflicts.
- State Team – priority during the spring season. State Team practice dates must be established and available through the State Office by at least March 15.
- Premier (MAPLE & MASC) teams – Division 1 only
- All other teams – players are to alternate attendance in event of schedule conflict
Source: Section 13 of the Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association Policies, Procedures, and Regulations. Last updated 2016.