20th ANNUAL BAYS PRESIDENTS' CUP – SPRING 2021
One of the highlights of the BAYS spring soccer season is the Presidents' Cup Tournament. This tournament is open to teams in the following divisions:
Grades 6 & 8 Division 3
Grade 5 Divisions 2 & 3
Grade 5 Division 1 - The top 2 teams in each D1 section will play in a Championship game.
All Championship games are scheduled for the morning of June 19, 2021, Wheelock Field, Medfield MA
Presidents' Cup Details:
- The Cup competition is played in addition to the regular season schedule.
- Initial pairings are determined by BAYS, with byes added to each bracket as needed to round out 16-team or 32-team fields.
- The tournament has a single-elimination format.
- All games are played to a result, including overtime and kicks from the penalty spot if needed.
- The home team (designated by BAYS) must provide a choice of three dates/times within the playing window to the away team, secure a field, and arrange for licensed referee crew through its town assignor. The town assignor will adjust the time and date of the match from the default to match the time and date agreed upon by the coaches. BAYS will cover its normal referee payments. Towns are responsible for paying sideline referees for any 9v9 matches.
- Any issues requiring the assistance of a division director should be sent by email to [email protected] (email will be updated each season).
- Each round of games must be completed within the time frame established by BAYS.
- The final championship matches are at a central site with BAYS supplied and paid referees.
- Coaches should report scores to [email protected] within 24 hours after the match. Please include gender, age, and bracket/division along with the result. If kicks from the mark were needed to decide the result, simply add one additional goal to the goal total of the winning team when reporting the score and note that the game went to PKs.
- The entry fee is $50 per team.
BAYS will hold a specific team registration period where clubs can register the teams electing to play in the Presidents' Cup.
Team Registration will open for Club Registrars on Monday April 26, 2021 and will close on Monday May 3, 2021 at 12 noon.
BAYS will award a cup to the coach and a special commemorative to each of the players in the finals.
Click here for the playoff brackets and schedule timeframe: https://bays.org/bays/pres_cup_bracket
Divisions with more than 32 teams will have "play-in games" which must be completed prior to the start of the tournament rounds.
Presidents' Cup Rules:
BAYS rules apply except as noted.
No special tournament rosters and no "guest" players. Teams use their existing BAYS roster.
Each game must be played to a result. If tied at the end of regulation time, two five-minute overtime periods will be played in full. No "golden goal"; no "sudden death". If tied at the end of both overtime periods, the game shall be determined by FIFA-style kicks from the penalty spot. If, in the referee's sole discretion, there is a lack of sufficient daylight or poor weather or field conditions, the referee may direct the teams to proceed directly to penalty kicks at the conclusion of regular time and omit the overtime periods.
The winner of kicks from the penalty mark is awarded one(1) goal which is added to the number of goals at the end of the overtime period to determine the winner.
In the event that two teams from the same BAYS section are scheduled to play each other in the tournament, they must play their Presidents' Cup game in addition to their regular schedule. They may not substitute their regularly scheduled BAYS game for their Presidents' Cup game.
Good sportsmanship is assumed. Stronger teams are expected to do everything possible to keep scores reasonable. Scores will be truncated with a maximum posted goal differential of 4 goals. Teams progress in the tournament solely based on wins. Goal differential has no impact.
The entry fee is $50 per team. Team registration by club registrar in the BAYS system. Clubs will be invoiced.
Registration will open on Monday April 26, 2021 and will close on Monday May 3, 2021 at 12 noon.
Brackets posted early the following week.