Town clubs must apply for a player-specific waiver if a player:
- Does not reside, have a parent/guardian reside, or go to school in the submitting town
- Additional waiver requirements exist for non-BAYS league towns
- Requests to play on a Division 1 team also have separate waiver requirements
- Is older than the stated grade-specific age range*
- Is in a higher grade group than the BAYS playing grade group requested
- Plays on a team that exceeds the stated grade-specific roster size limits
- Qualifies for an Americans with Disabilities Act accommodation
Please see the qualifications for the specific waiver types within the online Waiver Application and also refer to BAYS bylaws found at https://www.bays.org/book/playing-rules-and-regulations-bays-soccer-competition.
*The approved BAYS Grade and Age Groupings for the current soccer year can be found here: https://www.bays.org/content/grade-age-groupings-current-soccer-year
The player’s approved waiver number, which is assigned by BAYS and provided to the town registrar, must be listed on the official team roster, which then has to be submitted and approved by the appropriate the Division Director, BEFORE the player can play.
Towns are strongly urged to apply for waivers as soon as they are aware that the need exist. In order to ensure that all waiver requests are processed in time for players to be eligible for the first game of the season, see the submission due dates below:
Submission Due Dates
Submission due before the start of the first game.
NOTE: Late submissions will be considered but may not be processed with enough time for the player to play in the first game of the season. Some waivers, especially those relating to MTOC-eligible teams, require additional consideration that may increase the time needed for the approval process.
Waiver Application Process
Club Registrars and Club Presidents are the only individuals able to submit a waiver application at their Waivers—>Waiver Application online menu after logging into the BAYS website. All required information, depending on the waiver type, must be included.
Waiver Decision Process
The waiver decision process is a multistep process:
- Registrar/Club Presidents determines the need for a player waiver and submits a waiver application online.
- The waiver application is electronically routed to members of the BAYS Waiver Management Team for processing.
- A BAYS Waiver Director evaluates each waiver application:
- If needed, the Waiver Director will contact the submitter to clarify incomplete information.
- Depending on the type, some waivers can be automatically approved, while others may need to be routed for additional review and consideration by the BAYS Placement Committee per the BAYS rules.
- Once a decision has been reached, a confirmation email to the waiver submitter is generated with the outcome and waiver parameters.
- If approved, the email contains a generated Waiver Number which must be displayed on the official team roster in the player’s information row.
- If denied, the waiver decision is appealable to the BAYS Board of Directors per Match Rule 13 Appeals Policy. An Appeal fee of $100 applies.
Effective Time Period
Waivers may be granted for a single season, either fall or spring, or be granted for an entire soccer year. However, all waivers expire at the end of the soccer year (spring season) and MUST be reapplied for in the next soccer year (fall season), even if the conditions underlying the waiver request have not changed.
Interleague Waivers (Massachusetts Residents Only)
Interleague waivers are REQUIRED for ALL PLAYERS who live in a non-BAYS town and extra steps are necessary. See the online Waiver Application for detailed instructions.
MTOC-eligible team players (Div. 1 and Div. 2 in Grades 6 and above, except Div. 2 Grade 12)
- Written approvals (can be email) from the Club President and League President of both the requesting and releasing towns must be provided per the League President's Agreement.
Non-MTOC- eligible team players (All divisions for Grades 3, 4, 5, and 9/12 7v7; Div. 3 and Div 4 for Grades 6 and 8; Div. 2 Grade 12)
- Notification only, not written approvals, is required to the releasing Club President and League President.
Some useful contact information for non-BAYS towns/leagues can be found at the Mass Youth Soccer website. Click here: MA Affiliated Leagues and then select the League of interest from the list on the right. Each league page has links to the towns that it serves.
Interleague player transfers onto MTOC-eligible rosters are not permitted (are “frozen”) after April 30 of the seasonal soccer year.
Interleague Waivers (non-Massachusetts Residents)
There are three categories to consider, Resident of U.S. States with reciprocal relationship with Mass Youth Soccer, Resident of U.S. States without reciprocal relationship with Mass Youth Soccer, and International players.
Contact Mass Youth Soccer for a list of those states with reciprocal relationships. At the time of this writing, all six New England states have reciprocal relationships.
For a resident of a state with a reciprocal relationship, the player is treated as if they were a resident of a BAYS town. The club needs to secure a waiver based one of the BAYS Residency bylaws. The player is then affiliated with Mass Youth Soccer along with all the players. The player does not register with the state of residence.
For a resident of a state without a reciprocal relationship, the player first needs to register with the state of residence and fill out the transfer form from that state and submit to Mass Youth Soccer for processing. Once the interstate transfer is complete, the club may apply for a BAYS residency waiver. The receiving club still needs to affiliate the player with Mass Youth Soccer.
For international players, USSF rules require an international release. In practice, since the highest level of competition for BAYS is MTOC which is entirely within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Mass Youth does not require BAYS to seek International clearance. For details about players without a U.S. birth certificate, click here: https://www.bays.org/content/international-waivers